top of page

Horndon History Hunt

White House


Built around 1890, this house now serves as a private residence however in the early twentieth century it was run by Misses Annie and Ada Dale as a drapers, and from the 1950s until the end of the century it was owned by Eric Burdett the village baker.

People came from far and wide to purchase "some proper bread" and it was a typically busy village store selling bakery produce, grocery, haberdashery etc, while also serving as a sub-post office until this service's relocation to Orsett Road, behind the Country Fayre store.

Words adapted from: Tinworth, W.M., Saffron Cider and Honey: A Town Trail of Horndon on the Hill, Horndon on the Hill Society (1985)

Photos provided by residents of Horndon on the Hill. To see full quality photos visit

bottom of page