top of page

Horndon History Hunt

The Swan Public House

The Swan.jpg

Unfortunately not much has been recorded about the history of The Swan, a Grade II listed building, but it is probably much older than the date of the early nineteenth century which is recorded in its listed building details. The Court Rolls dated 1565 record a "Messuage called the Swan" so even if it wasn't a public house back then, a place of that name existed hereabouts.

From the Alehouse Recognances we find that the Swan was a public house during the eighteenth century with John Vandervood listed as publican from 1769 - 1780. This public house has received many alterations over the years leading to the popular bar and restaurant you see today, and early in the twentieth century it was the annual 'home' of the original Horndon on the Hill fair which was held in Swan Meadow behind the public house. In 1984 the wrought iron gates depicting the Swan were added to the entrance.

Words adapted from: Tinworth, W.M., Saffron Cider and Honey: A Town Trail of Horndon on the Hill, Horndon on the Hill Society (1985)

Photos provided by residents of Horndon on the Hill. To see full quality photos visit

bottom of page