top of page

Horndon History Hunt

Horndon National School

National School.jpg

The Horndon on the Hill National School was built in 1847 from money raised by donations and subscriptions. This was a Church School and the trustees were the Vicar, the Churchwardens and the Overseers of the Poor. Prior to its construction there was no education available for the poorer children of the village.

Unfortunately school log books do not exist from these very early years, but the book which commences in 1875 records that in 1876 a girl was withdrawn from school because "too much arithmetic was taught".


The school was enlarged in 1880 to accommodate 115 children and again in 1914 to hold 120 pupils at a cost of £750. These days the main school is located in Hillcrest Road with around 200 children. This building is now used as the nursery and for after-school and before-school childcare.

Words adapted from: Tinworth, W.M., Saffron Cider and Honey: A Town Trail of Horndon on the Hill, Horndon on the Hill Society (1985)

Photos provided by residents of Horndon on the Hill. To see full quality photos visit

bottom of page